St Moluag, Eoropaidh, Ness, Lewis



Denomination:
Scottish Episcopal
OS Reference:
NB519651
Address:
Eoropaidh, Ness, Lewis, HS2 0XA
Local Authority:
Western Isles
Website:
Listing:
A

Directions to your Church

200 yards from B8013 (signposted Eoropaidh from A857)

Location of Church


Nearby Churches

18 miles
21 miles
21 miles
56 miles
58 miles


Contact this Church

Church Overview

The building probably dates from the 12th century, but the site is believed to have been consecrated in the 6th century and is probably the place where Christianity was first preached to the people of Lewis. The church was restored in 1912 by Norman Forbes of Stornoway, under the guidance of the architect J S Richardson; the altars date from this restoration. The side chapel is connected to the main church only through a squint. The church has no heating, electricity or water; lighting is by candles and oil lamps. Vehicular access impossible. In wet weather, path to church can be muddy.

Services

11.00am 1st Sunday May-September, 3.00pm 3rd Sunday May-September

Opening Arrangements

Open during daylight hours

Image Gallery

Images relating to St Moluag, Eoropaidh, Ness, Lewis are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.

Candle-lit Carol ServiceView from the croftAltar and window

Linked Churches

St Moluag's Community Church, Tong, Lewis


Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.