St Margaret's Parish Church, Dalry



Toilets on premises Guidebooks and souvenirs
Denomination:
Church of Scotland
OS Reference:
NS291496
Address:
The Cross, Dalry, KA24 5AL
Local Authority:
North Ayrshire
Website:
Listing:
B

Location of Church


Nearby Churches

< 0.5 mile
2.9 miles
3.4 miles
3.9 miles
4 miles


Contact this Church

Church Overview

Landmark Victorian Gothic building (David Thomson 1871-73). Inventive 159ft broach spire �worthy of the many tasks thrust upon it�; the whole building is a 'powerful, carefully handled composition'. The restored interior (with good acoustics) of the early 1950s presents �a space of deep solemnity enhanced� by Beith-made pulpit, table, lectern and stained glass by Guthrie & Wells, Charles Payne and C L Davidson, plus the only decent amount of Munich glass and only Francis Hemony bell (1661) in a UK church. Three-manual Blackett & Howden organ (1899) moved here in 1953. Communion silver of 1618. Bronze sundial and some interesting stones in kirkyard. Kirk bears the name of the original medieval dedication: St Margaret of Antioch (see modern Rona Moody window), the only such in Scotland.

Services

Sunday: 10.30am

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement


Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.