Parton Kirk

Toilets on premises Guidebooks and souvenirs
Also Known As:
Church of Scotland
OS Reference:
Parton, DG7 3NE
Local Authority:
Dumfries & Galloway

Directions to your Church

On A713

Location of Church

Nearby Churches

2.7 miles
5.5 miles
5.6 miles
6.2 miles
6.4 miles

Contact this Church

Church Overview

A kirk, dedicated to St Inan or St Ninian and known as Kilennan, existed at Parton in 1296. The kirk was rebuilt in 1534 and its ruins stand in the churchyard. A new church with battlemented tower was built 1834, designed by Walter Newall. The interior was remodelled in the late 19th century. Burial place of William Macmath, who saved many old Border ballads, and of James Clerk Maxwell, eminent scientist.


9.30 or 11.00 am on 1st Sunday of the month

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

Linked Churches

Crossmichael Church, Kirkpatrick Durham Church, Corsock Church


The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.