Lamlash Parish Church, Arran



Access for partially abled Toilets on premises Hearing induction loop for the deaf Welcomers and guides on duty
Denomination:
Church of Scotland
OS Reference:
NS026309
Address:
Shore Road, Lamlash, Arran, KA27 8NP
Local Authority:
North Ayrshire
Website:
Listing:
A

Location of Church


Nearby Churches

2.6 miles
3.1 miles
3.2 miles
6.8 miles


Contact this Church

Church Overview

A massive campanile tower over 90ft high sits above this Gothic-style, red sandstone building by H & D Barclay 1886. The church was built by 12th Duke of Hamilton to replace an earlier building of 1773. Boarded, barrel-vaulted ceiling and carved, wooden tripartite Gothic sedilia. The tower hosts a peal of nine bells played every Sunday before service, the largest peal still existing cast for a Scottish church in a Scottish foundry. Seven stained glass windows by Anning Bell, Meiklejohn, Gordon Webster and Christian Shaw; all other windows are hand-painted, German cathedral glass. Pipe organ, William Hill, Norman & Beard 1934. In the front grounds are an ancient cross and baptismal font from the old monastery on Holy Isle in Lamlash Bay. Major restoration programme begun 1997.

Services

Sunday 11.30am

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement


Linked Churches

Kilmory Parish Church, Arran


Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.