Kilcalmonell Parish Church



Also Known As:
Clachan Church, Kintyre
Denomination:
Church of Scotland
OS Reference:
NR763561
Address:
Clachan, Tarbert, PA29 6XL
Local Authority:
Argyll & Bute
Listing:
B

Directions to your Church

Just off the A83, behind old bridge leading into Clachan village. Parking close to church. Bus stop in village.

Location of Church


Nearby Churches

3.9 miles
8.5 miles
9.9 miles
9.9 miles
10 miles


Contact this Church

Church Overview

Clachan was the ancient seat of the Church in North Kintyre. The present traditional harled oblong kirk of around 1780 replaced an earlier church on the site. The church was enlarged in 1828, remodelled in 1878 and the interior refurnished in 1900. The porch was added in 1952. Art Nouveau stained glass in the windows either side of the pulpit.

The graveyard contains early Christian, medieval and post-Reformation stones. War Memorial gateway, 1921, by Ebenezer James MacRae, City Architect of Edinburgh, one of the very rare examples of his work outside Edinburgh; he included two plaques from an older structure: a knight in full armour and a birlinn or galley.

Services

Sunday: 10.00am

Opening Arrangements

Open daily

Image Gallery

Images relating to Kilcalmonell Parish Church are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.

Church interiorEarly Christian and medieval graveslabsWest side of churchEast side of church

Linked Churches

Killean & Kilchenzie Parish Church


Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.