Garnethill Synagogue, Glasgow



Access for partially abled Toilets on premises Hearing induction loop for the deaf Guidebooks and souvenirs
Denomination:
Jewish
OS Reference:
NS502661
Address:
129 Hill Street, Glasgow, G3 6UB
Local Authority:
Glasgow
Website:
Listing:
A

Directions to your Church

Off Garnet Street

Location of Church


Nearby Churches

< 0.5 mile
< 0.5 mile
< 0.5 mile
< 0.5 mile
< 0.5 mile


Contact this Church

Church Overview

Opened in 1879, the first purpose-built synagogue in Scotland. It was designed by John McLeod of Glasgow in Romanesque-cum-Byzantine style. A round-arched portal with highly decorated orders leads to the body of the synagogue. Ladies' gallery is carried on octagonal piers with ornate Byzantine capitals. Stained glass by J B Bennet & Sons. Refurbished in 1996.

Services

Saturday 10.00am, Jewish Festivals 9.30am

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

Image Gallery

Images relating to Garnethill Synagogue, Glasgow are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.

Garnethill Synagogue, GlasgowGarnethill Synagogue, GlasgowGarnethill Synagogue, Glasgow

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.