Fala and Soutra Parish Church

Access for partially abled Hearing induction loop for the deaf
Also Known As:
St Kentigern
Denomination:
Church of Scotland
OS Reference:
NT439610
Address:
Main Street, Fala, EH37 5SY
Local Authority:
Midlothian
Listing:
B

Directions to your Church

Just off A68

Location of Church


Nearby Churches

2.2 miles
3.5 miles
4.4 miles
4.4 miles
4.8 miles


Contact this Church

Church Overview

A small hospice was dedicated to St Modan in 1137. By 1560 this was in ruins and the congregation took over Soutra Church. In 1618 the Fala and Soutra congregation was housed in Fala Church. David Bryce reworked the 18th century church in 1860, adding porches and the belfry. 'Dorcas' window, 1869, and windows by Crear McCartnery, 1993 and Elaine Adams, 1998. The church has other interesting artefacts and modern artwork.

Nearby is the small Soutra Aisle, a small, stone, barrel-vaulted building, all that remains of the medieval hospital and the site of an extensive archaeological dig which yielded much information about medieval medical practive.

Services

Sunday 12.30 pm

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement


Linked Churches

Cranstoun Church, Borthwick Parish Church


Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.