Dyke Parish Church



Access for partially abled Toilets on premises Hearing induction loop for the deaf Welcomers and guides on duty
Denomination:
Church of Scotland
OS Reference:
NH990584
Address:
Dyke, IV36 2TL
Local Authority:
Moray
Listing:
A

Directions to your Church

Off A96, 3 miles west of Forres

Location of Church


Nearby Churches

2.8 miles
3.2 miles
4.8 miles
5 miles
7 miles


Contact this Church

Church Overview

Noble Georgian rectangle by James Smith (Nairn) and James Smith (Auldearn), built 1781. Rectangular church with symmetrical 6-bay elevation with large round-headed windows, the two end windows surmount the original entrances. Gothic gabled porch added 1855-60.

The original layout remains with pews on three sides facing the central 3-decker pulpit with stairs with slender balusters in the centre of the south wall. Renovated 1952 when the present ceiling was inserted (covering the sounding board of the pulpit).

The church hall was converted from an early-mid 18th century burial mausoleum. War Memorial gate by Peter MacGregor Chalmers, 1921-22.

The Rodney Stone, a 9th century Pictish symbol stone, was found in the churchyard during the digging of the foundations; it was set up on a site in Brodie Castle grounds to commemorate the victory of Admiral Lord Rodney over the French and Spanish fleets at Dominica in 1782.

Close to Brodie Castle.

Services

Sunday: 10.00am

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

Image Gallery

Images relating to Dyke Parish Church are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.

Dyke Parish Church

Linked Churches

Edinkillie Parish Church


Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.